As an editor and proofreader my primary goal is to help you to clearly communicate your ideas and research findings. Whether you’re looking for a quick formatting check or for more substantial editing, I provide a comprehensive range of editorial services to meet your needs.
Core Editorial Services
- Substantive Editing: Clarifying or reorganizing a manuscript for content and structure.
- Stylistic Editing: Clarifying meaning, eliminating jargon and polishing language.
- Copy-Editing: Editing for grammar, usage, spelling, punctuation and other mechanics of style; checking for consistency of mechanics and for internal consistency of facts.
- Proofreading: Checking the final formatted document for adherence to design and for minor, mechanical errors in copy (such as spelling mistakes).
Additional Publishing Services
- Citation Formatting: Adapting citations and references to the publisher’s preferred style.
- Curriculum Vitae/Résumé Editing
- Pre-Submission Service: Styling and formatting an article to match the journal’s specifications.
- Proposal Development: Including book proposals, research proposals and grant applications.
Avoid the slush pile by getting a professional critique of your manuscript before submitting it to a publisher. A manuscript assessment covers:
- A read-through of the full manuscript and mark-up where needed (this is not a copy-edit).
- Delivery of an assessment report (6–10 pages usually) that includes a summary of what is and isn’t working and recommendations for next steps.
- Optional phone chat with the editor afterwards.
My hourly rates are in line with those listed by the Editorial Freelancers Association. Documents longer than 50,000 words are charged on a per-project basis.
To receive an exact quotation for your project, please get in touch by email and attach your document.
Specialist Subject Areas
- Cognitive Science
- Developmental Psychology
- History of Art
- History of Science
- Iberian Studies
- International Development
- Islamic Studies
- Near Eastern/Middle Eastern Studies
- Politics and International Studies
- Science Studies
- Theology/Religious Studies
Foreign language and ESL assistance
Thanks to my academic background, I am able to edit manuscripts which include text, transliteration and sources from the languages that I speak and have studied (Arabic, French, German, Persian, Spanish and Turkish). I also proofread Arabic language texts.
I am also experienced in working with authors for whom English is a second language and can help you to maximize your chances of getting published.
I specialise in proofreading LaTeX documents and can help authors to make the most of this versatile typesetting system. For more information about LaTeX, check out my LaTeX for Humans blog.