I provide professional editing and writing services for individuals, businesses and non-profits. My specialty is academic and technical writing in the humanities and social sciences. I also produce content for print, web and social media.
I am based in the Washington, DC metro area and serve clients worldwide.
Editing Skills & Expertise
- Member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (UK) and the Editorial Freelancers Association (US)
- Over 10 years’ publishing experience, including in-house and as a freelancer
- Professional training: SfEP (Proofreading), Publishing Training Centre (Editing)
- Trained in the use of BSI proof-correction marks (BS 5261C:2005)
- Styles: Chicago Manual of Style, Modern Language Association Handbook, New Hart’s Rules (The Oxford Style Guide) and Modern Humanities Research Association Style Guide
Academic Research Background
I hold an MA and MPhil in Middle Eastern Studies from the University of Cambridge and am in the final stages of completing my PhD there. My specialty is the history of Arabic science and I have published work in this field. Visit my page on Academia.edu.
My professional career includes over 10 years’ experience in editing and proofreading multilingual publications and I have worked with students, professors and publishers from many different countries. I have also served as the executive director of a non-profit organization in Egypt and the UK.
As a writer, I have developed websites and marketing material for companies and educational institutions. My services include social media content and web copy, company brochures and email newsletters. I have extensive experience with the LaTeX typesetting system and have blogged about its use in the humanities since 2008.